Sunday, September 14, 2008

'Mango' ... Indonesia's must eat fruit


Mango or Mangga

Oh, I luv this month ‘September’, because I can eat my favourite fruit 'Mango'. We call it ‘Mangga’ in Indonesia. It is a seasonal fruit ... starts in September till November every year. I missed this fruit very much when I was working overseas two years ago. The supermarkets overseas sell this fruit but the price was too expensive for me. In my hometown, during the season, you can buy this fruit Rp.4,000 - Rp.5,000 (around USD 0.4-0.5) for 1 kg Mango. It is not even 1 dollar per Kg, can you imagine? Yes, it is very cheap ... Last year when I was in Singapore, the price was around SGD 2 for 1 piece ... expensive :).

There are wide varieties of mangoes in Indonesia, namely, mangga gadung, mangga podang, mangga harum manis, mangga manalagi, etc. I like mango gadung. It tastes sweet and delicious ...mmm... I really luv it.


Mango, anyone?!?

In addition, mango has superb nutritional contents. It contains high contents of prebiotic; fiber; antioxidants, such as vitamin C, A & E, polyphenols, and carotenoids. It also contains protein; essential nutrients such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron; vitamin B2 & B6; and folate.

So if you are now in Indonesia or if you have plans to come to Indonesia in the next two months, you have to try this ‘must eat fruit’.

No comments: