Monday, June 23, 2008

Short trip in Singapore

I went to Singapore in early June. I only had 3 days to visit S'pore... quite short trip. I started my trip at 8 am from Surabaya to Hang Nadim Batam by Mandala airlines. The flight takes 2 hours. Then, I bought Penguin ticket ferry to Singapore ... the ticket costs SGD 18 per person. It is cheaper to buy the ticket ferry at the airport than at Batam Centre (the harbour). I took a cab to go to Batam Centre and I paid 70,000 rupiahs. I checked in at the Penguin counter, paid the tax (SGD 3 per person), paid the fiscal and departed to Singapore at 2pm. The trip by ferry takes 1 hour. I arrived in Singapore at 4pm. So, all in total I spent 7 hours to reach Singapore from Surabaya.

I spent the night by walking around china town and orchard road on my first day of visit. They are just okey for me. Not too crowded ... may be because it was not holiday season during my visit. I had my dinner at the food court at the basement of Takashimaya shopping centre. The food was not that special.


Singapore's Icons

On the second day, I planned to go to visit 2 Singapore's landmarks, Esplande and Merlion; and some shopping centres, Raffles City Shopping Centre and Suntec City. I took Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) from Clarke Quay to City Hall Station. Then, I walked around 10 minutes from the City Hall MRT Station through an underpass which connects 4 shopping centres - Raffles City, Marina Square, Suntec City and Millenia Walk. From Esplande, I walked around 5 minutes through a bridge to Merlion Park. Merlion is the famous icon of Singapore known worldwide. It is the statue of the lion head with a fish body resting on a crest of waves.


Fountain of Wealth

I visited Suntec City to see the fountain of wealth. It is supported by four 13.8 metres high bronze legs and located on an area of 1683.07 metres. The Fountain of Wealth has been awarded as the "World's Largest Fountain" in the 1998 by Guinness Book of Records. The fountain represents wealth and life. I spent the night walking around Suntec City and had dinner at 'Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao' restaurant at the Fountain terrace. The food is good and the price is not that expensive. If you like chinese food, it is a recommended restaurant.


A dancing fountain coupled with laser

In general, Singapore is a nice and safe place to be visited. It is very easy and convenient to get around the city. Everything is very clear and I guarantee you will not get lost in Singapore. Have a nice trip to Singapore...

No comments: